January is the time of year when everyone is in the mood to either lose weight, eat healthier, start working out, or just live a more healthy lifestyle for the New Year. I am truly one of those people who is a serious goal-getter and one of my fitness goals this year is to complete a half marathon. I started marathon training in graduate school as a positive way to release stress and challenge myself physically outside of the gym.
I would spend countless hours in the gym after classes lifting weights, taking kickboxing classes, running on the treadmill, and in between my teaching assistant job so much that the staff actually asked if I could begin work at my favorite gym as a motivational fitness trainer.
So with that being said, I believe that fitness goals should not just happen for the New Year, but all year round. I am the type of person to set and achieve individual goals for myself towards health and wellness. However, since becoming a loving mother of two and a devoted wife of one, it is beyond important to plan amazing health and wellness for my family. I have discovered that by encouraging my energetic children, and dedicated hubby to achieve goals in health & wellness, it’s monumental in creating a healthy lifestyle for the entire family.
Also, we are super excited to be able to inspire, uplift, and encourage each other to stay on track, focused, and learn major life lessons at the same time. These tips help throughout the New Year and the very demanding school year, and assist in creating work/life balance for parents.
This blog contains affiliate links. They help pay for the coffee that keeps us turning out adventures week after week. I’ll only recommend and share products that I use and love myself. Thanks!
7 Health and Wellness Tips for Your Family
1. Set good sleep habits in children: Setting good sleep habits is fundamental for children. When I have my children on a consistent sleep schedule they achieve better grades in school, well rested for the day, and I have time for blogging, writing, researching or spending quality time with my hubby.
2. Cook healthier meals: In my household we rarely eat in fast food restaurants unless we are really in a time crunch! I prefer to cook one skillet meals, crock pot, and on Sundays make a huge Sunday dinner! My children help with baking special dishes too!
3. Exercise and work out individually and as a family: I love to take long walks/runs outside on my own to help prepare for a half marathon. But as a family we love to turn up the music and dance, dance, dance around the house!
4. Take part in extracurricular activities: I simply love being a basketball mom! We are currently at the beginning of basketball season and it is awesome! I encourage my children to participate in sports and the arts. When my daughter is older I would love for her to begin gymnastics and dance class.
5. Make sure you schedule and attend all doctor’s and dentist appointments: I think that it is important to be an advocate for my family’s health and prevention is the best medicine. To further encourage great health for the New Year, I usually schedule any remaining doctor’s or dentist appointments at the end of the year.
6. Teaching my children to have a sense of gratitude: Teaching them to write thank you notes, give back to others, and work on household chores.
7. Less Screen time: I believe that in this day and age it is so important to regulate the amount of screen time for children including tablets, television, and video games. This is where keeping children involved in extracurricular activities, reading books, spending quality time with family, going to special family events are ways to lower the amount of screen time for children.
Use these easy tips to help you and your family stay healthy and active this year. For more tips, recipes, and ideas, be sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram where we are always sharing fun ideas to be active and healthy together.