Lentils are a great staple food. They are a great source of protein and carbohydrates. They are one thing I always keep in my pantry. They cook up quickly and are extremely versatile. Yellow, red, and orange lentils tend to get mushy when they are cooked and are ideal in Dahl, soups, and stews. The green and brown variety tend to hold their shape better. They work well in salads and hot side dishes. How do you like to use lentils? Today I’m sharing my French Lentil and Beet Salad recipe.
This French Lentil and Beet Salad is delicious warm, at room temperature, or cold. This recipe can make 4 servings as a side dish or 2 servings as a main entrée. If servings as a main entree, I could suggest adding mixed greens or fresh spinach.
Note: For perfectly cooked lentils, hold off with the salt until they are fully cooked. Adding salt to uncooked lentils can keep them crunchy and you don’t want that.
Yields 2 main entree salads or 4 side salads
20 minPrep Time
45 minCook Time
1 hr, 5 Total Time
- 1 cup French green (puy) or brown lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 2 beets (color doesn't matter)
- 6 ounces goat's cheese with honey or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped (about 1/2 a bunch)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon shallot, fine chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wrap washed beets inside of aluminum foil and seal closed. Bake for 30-45 minutes; until beets are tender. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel/wipe off the outside of the beets.
- Wash the lentils in cold water. Place in a large pot with bay leaf and thyme. Cover the lentils with 2 cups of water. Bring to a rapid boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Thinly slice the beets with a knife or mandolin.
- In a bowl, whisk together the parsley, dill, olive oil, vinegar, salt, and honey.
- Drain the lentils and remove the bay leaf and thyme sprig.
- Divide the lentils onto small plates or larger serving platter. Top with sliced beets, crumbled cheese, and drizzle (to taste) with vinaigrette dressing.