Colcannon is a traditional Irish dish of creamy mashed potatoes with shredded cabbage or kale. It's delicious all on its own. But, I decided it could be better with bacon. After all, doesn't bacon make EVERYTHING better? So I bring you this Irish Colcannon with Bacon. 5 strips of thick cut bacon plus cooking the leeks and kale in the bacon dripping makes this Irish classic ahhhhh-mazing!
When cooler autumn temperatures arrive, my cooking gets more earthy and rustic. This dish is definitely rustic, but is also quick and easy to prepare. It's ready in less than 20 minutes. We like to serve colcannon with bacon like a Dutch Stamppot with smoked sausages. It's versatile though and you can enjoy this with chicken, pork, lamb, or beef. Basically, anything you want to serve with it and it will taste fantastic.
So are you ready for this bacon filled goodness? Here this Irish Colcannon with Bacon recipe. Enjoy!
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 strips thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 bunch of curly kale (5-6 large stalks), de-stemmed and chopped
- 1 leek, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium.
- Cook potatoes for 15 minutes or until they are tender. Drain off water and set aside.
- While the potatoes are cooking, place the bacon in a skillet. Over medium heat, fry bacon until crispy. Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. When cool enough to handle. coarsely chop bacon and set aside.
- Drain off most of the bacon fat, until there is enough left to coat the bottom of the skillet. Return skillet to stove top over medium heat.
- Place leek and kale into the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes or until kale is cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked and set aside, place butter and milk in the same saucepan the potatoes were cooked in (in should still be warm). Allow the butter to melt.
- Return the potatoes to the pan. Mash the potatoes until creamy.
- Add the chopped bacon, leeks, kale, salt, and pepper to the mashed potatoes. Mix to combine and spoon into a serving dish.
- Serve immediately.
What will you serve for dinner with this colcannon?
If you aren't sure, try one of these recipes: