Where were we before Pinterest? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve turning to my Pinterest boards to find meal inspiration. Are you the same way? This Lasagna Spaghetti Squash was inspired by something I saw on Pinterest. This grain free recipe is as if spaghetti and lasagna got together and had a baby. This is delicious! Even my pasta-loving kids didn’t miss the pasta.
Let me set the stage for you now. It was almost dinner time at our house and I wanted something fast and easy for dinner. I remembered pinning a delicious vegetarian squash lasagna recipe on Pinterest from Closet Cooking. It looked really good! The original recipe called for homemade pasta sauce. As we were all starving in the house, so I popped open a jar of store bought, organic pasta sauce and dinner was finished in less than 40 minutes. Quick, healthy, done!
My family loves this dish. I have made it several times since I first posted this recipe on my site. It is terrific as a vegetarian version or meat protein. We’ve tried it with ground beef, chopped chicken, and Italian sausage. I really like the Italian sausage in it. One thing I’ve changed from the original recipe is how I prep the squash after it’s cooked and before it’s topped with cheese. I now scrap out all the spaghetti sauce into a bowl and add the remaining ingredients, except the mozzarella cheese. I combine everything in the bowl, then return it to the empty squash halves. I add the mozzarella and bake. It combines the flavors more and tastes better, in my honest opinion. Any way to serve it, you’ll love this Lasagna Spaghetti Squash.
- 2 small spaghetti squash, cut in half and seeded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 pound ground beef or sausage (omit if wanting vegetarian)
- 2 cups pasta or marinara sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded or sliced
- Season the spaghetti squash with salt and pepper. Bake skin side up, in a preheated 400F oven until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly. Using a fork, scrap the inside of each squash half into a bowl. Set asides
- In a skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Drain off any fat from the cooking meat.
- Add the pasta sauce, basil, and oregano and ricotta cheese to the beef. Combine well.
- Divide mixture among all the 4 sides of squash.
- Top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Return squash to the oven and broil until the cheese has melted and turned a light golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.