What do you do with leftovers in your house? Here we have to come up with new and creative ways to get us excited about leftovers.
Over the weekend I was craving smoked salmon, so I made this delicious Danish open-faced sandwich with smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs and caviar. I had a little bit of smoked salmon left didn’t want to do the traditional bagel and cream cheese route. I put on my thinking cap and ended up with a tasty salmon for breakfast/brunch the next day.
Chinese 5 Spice is the secret to this dish tastes so good. This spice blend typically combines Szechwan peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves, fennel seeds, and star anise. It is common in Asian, Indian, and Arabic recipes. You get a great blend of flavors that are delicious with vegetables, chicken, and seafood. You can but it commercially or make your own.
The yogurt sauce complements the potatoes and brings everything together. Make the sauce up to a day ahead of time, as it gets better the longer it rests.
Enjoy this for breakfast or brunch. It’s a quick and easy way to redo leftovers.
Smoked Salmon, 4 ounces, chopped
2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
2 large red skinned or yukon potatoes, cubed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1 small clove minced
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 cup plain Greek style yogurt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon capers, minced
1 green onion, minced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and cube the potatoes. Boil in salted water until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes. Drain in colander and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, coat the potatoes with the olive oil in. Mix in the spices, garlic through thyme. Spread onto 2 large cooking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake potatoes until crispy and golden brown, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally to get potatoes to brown evenly. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While potatoes are crisping, mix yogurt with green onions, capers, and lemon juice.
- Combine the potatoes and smoked salmon.
- To serve, plate the potatoes and salmon with the cream sauce on the side.