This article and giveaway is sponsored by Sunoco. All opinions are 100% my own.
Get Ready for Summer Fun
with these Car Care Tips
and a Gas Card Giveaway from Sunoco.
Summer is almost here. For many of us, that means we’ll hit the open road for our annual summer vacation. Before you head out for adventure, you want to be sure your car is in top shape. We’re sharing our summer car care tips with you to help you start your vacation out right. Plus we’ve teamed up with Sunoco to giveaway a $25 Sunoco Gas Gift Card to one lucky Little Family Adventure reader.
Car travel can be a cost effective way to get you to and from a family vacation. According to the US Department of Transportation’s National Household Travel Survey, Americans travel an average of 314 miles one way for summer vacations. With the national gas average (unleaded) being $2.44 a gallon, fuel costs are less than $80 round trip when traveling by car. For families looking to save money on gas while on the road, Sunoco’s gas credit card can save you $.05 off per gallon, which can really add up when traveling long distances.
Just like you prepare and pack for a road trip, you should do the same for your car. Insuring that your car is ready for a big trip will help avoid any unwanted breakdowns or incidents. These 5 Summer Car Care Tips will help you ensure that you and your car and ready for the next big road trip.
- Schedule any routine maintenance.
- If your car is near or past due for an oil change, get it done.
- Lubricate all the joints and do an overall inspection of the car.
- Top off all your fluids (windshield wiper, radiator, brake, etc.)
- Replace windshield wipers.
- Check tires
- Check the thread.
- Using a penny: Place a penny upside down into several tread grooves across the tire.
- If part of Lincoln’s head is always covered by the tread, you have more than 2/32″ of tread depth remaining (bare minimum).
- If you have less than 2/32″ tread, it’s time to replace those tires.
- Check tire pressure
- You can find the correct pressure for your vehicle inside your owners manual or on the information label inside the driver’s side door frame.
- Check the thread.
- Check your spare tire
- Is the spare tire in your car?
- Is it properly inflated?
- What condition is it in?
- Where is your car jack?
- Print off a current copy of your insurance card
- Check your emergency kit
- At a minimum, it should include flares or emergency triangle, a first aid kit, jumper cables, a blanket, flashlight, bottles of water, and a roll of duct tape.
Following these summer car care tips will get you and your car ready for vacation travel. Many are easy enough to do yourself (except maybe the oil change) or you can take it in for a full service. Either way, you’ll have the piece of mind knowing that your car will safely get where you want to go.
Summer Fun Giveaway
Just in time for your upcoming summer travel, we are partnering with Sunoco to giveaway a $25 Sunoco Gas Gift Card to one lucky reader. Having a Sunoco Gas Gift card can come in extremely handy on a road trip for more than just gas. You can help your family re-fuel by picking up lunch, snacks and coffee at any APlus location. Use the Sunoco gas station locator to find Sunoco locations and APlus stores along your route so you can plan your stops accordingly.
The Summer Fun Giveaway is open to all US residents 18 years of age and older. Enter daily to increase your chances of winning by pinning or tweeting this giveaway (see entry form below). Contest ends May 3, 2015 at 12am CST. Winner will be selected at random and will be contacted via email.