Vegetarian chili is perfect for cool fall nights. If you like chili fries, this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is sure to become a new family favorite. It takes two delicious flavors, sweet potato and black bean chili, and creates a great bowl of YUM!
Are you as busy as my family is during the week? For week night dinners, I’m always looking for quick and easy meals or those that can be cooked in the slow cooker. This chili is great in a crock pot or slow cooker. You can throw all the ingredients in and turn it in. When it’s time for dinner, the chili is ready when you are.
Sweet potatoes add a rich, earthy flavor that compliments tomatoes and the smokiness of cumin. There is a pinch of cayenne and cinnamon in this recipe, but there is no heat. So, it’s perfect for those that like a mild flavor. If you want heat, add more cayenne or add a few hotter peppers like jalapenos, habaneroes, or chipoltes.
I hope you enjoy this vegetarian chili. It’s sure to be on my meal plans this fall and winter. Try it out and tell me what you think.
Yields 4-6 servings
10 minPrep Time
4 hrCook Time
4 hr, 10 Total Time
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cup dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Like all chili recipes, this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is so much better the next day. You can store in the refrigerator for a few days or place it in the freezer in small portions. I like to eat my chili with fresh cornbread or a cheese quesadilla.
How do you like to eat your chili?