* This article contains affiliate links. Purchase through our affiliate links and we receive a small commission without any extra expense to you!
Vegetarian chili is perfect for cool fall nights. Serve it by itself, create chili cheese fries or tater tots, or experiment with it over spaghetti noddles for some Cinncinati style chili. Regardless of how you serve it, this vegetarian chili is delicious!
Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili
For week night dinners, I’m always looking for quick and easy meals or those that can be cooked in the slow cooker. This crock pot vegetarian chili is great in a slow cooker. All the flavors meld together for a great bowl of delicious!
LOVE Soup Recipes? Make sure you check out these:
- 30+ Soup Recipes to Warm You Up This Season (includes crock pot recipes)
- Dutch Split Pea Soup with Bacon
- Loaded Potato Soup
- Strawberry Soup (appetizer or dessert)
How do you make Chili in a Crock Pot
To make chili in a crock pot, you throw in all of the ingredients and set the slow cooker to low for at least 6 hours. When you are busy, you set it in the morning and when you get home, this vegetarian chili is ready to serve.
Sweet potatoes add a rich, earthy flavor to this vegetarian chili that compliments the tomatoes and the smokiness of the cumin. There is a pinch of cayenne and cinnamon in this too, but you don’t get any heat from it. So, it’s perfect for those that like a mild flavor. If you want heat, add more cayenne or add a few hotter peppers like jalapenos, habaneroes, or chipoltes.
My kids don’t miss the meat protein in chili with this vegetarian chili. The black beans and sweet potatoes come to give it a great texture and flavor. Your family won’t miss it either!
I hope you enjoy this vegetarian chili. It’s sure to be on my meal plans this fall and winter. Try it out and tell me what you think.
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 cups cooked black beans, drained
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup cup dried cilantro
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours or in a Dutch Oven on medium heat for 4 hours.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1227 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 80mg Sodium: 4616mg Carbohydrates: 177g Sugar: 6g Protein: 63g
Like all chili recipes, this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Chili is so much better the next day. You can store in the refrigerator for a few days or place it in the freezer in small portions. I like to eat my chili with fresh cornbread or a cheese quesadilla.
How do you like to eat your chili?