Today I have an appetizer recipe for you. This recipe for Bratwurst Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms is sponsored by Crunchmaster Crackers. All opinions are my own.
This stuffed mushroom is a real crowd pleaser. It combines German bratwurst sausage, Crunchmaster Multi Grain Crackers, cheese, and herbs. Whether you are looking for a holiday party appetizer, tailgating/football watching party food, or a light snack, these stuffed mushrooms disappear quickly.
At the moment, we have been going to a few parties. Never one to show up empty handed, I like to bring these stuffed mushrooms. There are always plenty of chips and dip offerings, fruit plates, and meat and cheese boards. But hot apps are usually in short supply. That’s why these sausage stuffed mushrooms are so popular. (Note: If you want a really tasty dip recipe, check out this Tuscan Cream Cheese Dip)
Instead of traditional or Panko breadcrumbs, I like using crushed crackers as the binder in recipes. Why crushed crackers? Well, I’m more than likely to have crackers in the pantry than breadcrumbs. Crackers also hold up better than breadcrumbs.
Plus flavored crackers like these Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Roasted Vegetable Crackers add a great depth to the recipe. The flavors of bell pepper, tomato, onion, garlic, spices, and herbs really add extra pizazz to the stuffing.
If you are looking for a gluten free appetizer, these mushrooms are a good way to go too. The crackers are gluten free, as well as Non-GMO verified and packed with whole grains. You can easily use a handful of crackers for the stuffing and they use the remainder of the box for other dips or on a meat/cheese board.
Now let’s get to the recipe!
Quite simply the best stuffed mushroom recipe you will ever make.
- 1 pound Mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 pound bratwurst sausage (remove casings if using links)
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/3 cup bread/cracker crumbs (About 15 Crunchmaster Multi-Grain Roasted Vegetable Crackers, crushed)
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine bratwurst, onion, and garlic in a skillet and cook over medium heat. Crumble sausage and cook until browned.
- Remove skillet from heat.
- Crush crackers in a bag or pulse in a blender until the size of typical breadcrumbs.
- Add cracker crumbs, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, thyme, parsley, black pepper, and salt. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon heaping teaspoon of bratwurst mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Place stuffed mushrooms in a rectangular baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining sausage and mushrooms.
- Place stuffed mushrooms into the oven and bake for 13-15 minutes or until sausage mixture is slightly browned.
- Remove from oven, transfer to serving plate, and enjoy!
Serving Size:1 mushroom cap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2425Total Fat: 194gCarbohydrates: 60gProtein: 119g
The recipe for these stuffed mushrooms is pretty simple. The hardest part is keeping yourself from eating the stuffing before you can stuff the mushrooms. If you want ditch the mushrooms and just eat the stuffing with crackers, go ahead. I do, so I won't tell.
Using crackers instead of breadcrumbs in this recipe is a fun twist on a family favorite. You could say it's giving crackers a “New Beginning”. This year the Crunchmaster crackers were updated as part of their New Beginnings campaign. They took it one step further and encouraged others to try something new too. A few of the activities we did on our big summer road trip were part of that challenge. But now that I'm back home, I come to realize that doing something new can actually just be a new way to do something you already love. This recipe is a great example of that and I hope that you like the recipe as much as my family and I do.
You can find the Crunchmaster Multi-Grain crackers I used in the recipe in a store near you. When you sign up for the Crunchiest Community, you’ll get a $1 coupon to use towards your next bag of crackers. So head over, grab the coupon, and create the tastiest stuffed mushroom recipe you’ll ever make.