This “best soft sugar cookie recipe” is sponsored by Barleans. I love their products and use them often.
Looking for a soft sugar cookie recipe?
Well that’s what I have for you today. This is by far, the best soft sugar cookie recipe we’ve made in quite awhile. That is saying something! Especially since I’ve been making my aunt’s sugar cookie recipe for as long as I can remember. This cookie recipe makes a soft and chewy cookie that reminds me of a muffin. How can you go wrong with that?
Hint of Orange
This isn’t your traditional sugar cookie recipe, but that’s NOT a bad thing! This version has a hint of orange and uses coconut oil instead of butter. A little bit of orange zest and orange juice goes a long way to add flavor to this soft sugar cookie recipe. It’s bright, flavorful, and just plain delicious. If you'd like to omit the orange, substitute an additional 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the wet ingredients.
Note: If you love cookies, be sure to check this recipe for Breakfast Cinnamon Cookies too.
As a Barleans Ambassador, I get to try many of their products and incorporate them into my cooking and baking. Over the past few months, I’ve been using their Barleans Butter Flavored Coconut Oil to bake.
It’s a 1:1 substitution and can be used just like butter in almost any recipe and cooked up to 375 degrees F. I say “almost” because there may be 1 or 2 that it won’t work in, but I haven’t found them yet. Flavor is the same, but you get all the health benefits of coconut oil. You can read more about those on the Barlean’s website.
Note: Coconut oil melts at 76 degrees F. If your oil melts, pop it in the freezer so it can solidify.
Sugar or Sugar Substitute
I’ve also swapped out traditional granulated sugar for a sugar substitute. As a family, we are trying to reduce our sugar intake, but it’s REALLY hard with baked goods. There are many substitutes out there that taste and bake just like granulated sugar. I like this one from Swerve*. (* Purchase through our affiliate links and we receive a small commission without any extra expense to you!) But you can use any you like or just use granulated cane sugar and regular confectioners’ sugar. Choice is yours.
Here’s my recipe for the Best Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup Barleans Butter Flavored Coconut Oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar or substitute
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar or substitute
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk yogurt, vanilla
- 1 Tablespoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest from 1 orange
- 3 cups whole wheat flour ( Like sprouted whole wheat)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting over finished cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, place coconut oil, sugars, and egg into a mixing bowl. Using a whisk attachment, beat together until everything is creamy and light.
- Add yogurt, vanilla, orange juice, and orange zest to wet ingredients. Beat until well combined.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients - flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet mixture and mix until well combined.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes until cookies are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Top with confectioners’ sugar and enjoy.
Serving Size:1 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 78mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 2g
Makes 3 dozen cookies.