Trader Kale Salad is a tasty combination of fresh kale, fruit, nuts, and toasted coconut. It’s a wonderful salad for lunch or dinner. It gets its named after Trader Joe’s market. This grocery chain is a place I love to shop. Unfortunately, I don’t have one near me, so every so often I’ll make a little road trip. Sounds funny I know, but what can I say? I love good food! Many of the ingredients (dried cherries and toasted coconut chips) are staples that I pick up when I’m there.
On one of my trips to Trader Joe’s, I discovered their Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar. The label suggested using the vinegar to dress a salad, add tang to a salsa, as a spritzer, and a marinade. Being one to try new things, I tried it and now it’s something I stock up on. This dressing is a nice balance between sweet and tart.
I’ve written before about massaging your kale for a salad, Playing with your food: Massaged Kale Salad. Massaging the kale, breaks down the fibrous tissue that gives kale its bitter taste. If you haven’t tried it yet, here’s another chance. If you don’t have a Trader Joe’s near you, substitute orange juice and champagne vinegar for the TJ brand Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar. I included measurements amounts in the recipe for you.
- 2 bunches kale, stems removed and leaves torn into smaller pieces
- 1 orange- peeled, segmented, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1 handful roasted coconut strips
- 1 avocado, peeled, pit removed, and cut up
- 1/4 cup toasted pepito/pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Orange Muscat Champagne Vinegar or 1 1/2 Tablespoons Champagne Vinegar and 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- Place kale leaves in a large bowl. Add olive oil and vinegar (and orange juice if using). Work the dressing in and massage the kale until the leaves have changed in texture, about a minute.
- Place other ingredients in bowl and toss to combine.
- Plate salad and enjoy!