Travel Food: Disney Soft Pretzels
When you travel, do you like to try new foods? Our family does. We often have a list of recommended places or must have foods ready before we ever leave the house. That list of foods could be anything from regional specialties to fun, quirky novelties. Here are a few examples: Texas barbecue brisket, Carne asada burritos in San Diego, Special Quesadillas in El Centro, CA Beignets and chicory coffee at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans, Crab cakes in Maryland, New York pizza in NYC. You get the idea. What are some of your regional favorite foods?
Well when we go to Disney World, we have a list of favorites that we want too. There are Mickey ice cream bars, Dole Whips, Mickey Waffles, and Disney Soft Pretzels. The soft pretzels come in a fun Mickey Mouse shape.
When I'm at Disney World on vacation, I'll get our fill of our favorite things. But, when I get home I've learned to make a few of them ourselves. SO if you are a Disney food lover like I am or just looking for a great soft pretzel recipe, try these Disney Soft Pretzels for yourself. They are as close as you're going to get without buying theme park admission.
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 5 cups unbleached white wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Topping Options: coarse Kosher salt, cinnamon-sugar,
- Place hot water and sugar in a small bowl. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Mix in the yeast and let sit 5 minutes.
- Combine the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour in the yeast liquid. Mix on low for 30 seconds with an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Continue to beat on medium speed until sides pull away from the bowl. If dough is still sticky, add more flour (1 tablespoon at a time).
- Continue to knead with the dough hook until smooth.
- Place into an oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Put it in a warm area and let rise until doubled. About 1-1.5 hours
- Punch dough down and divide into 16 even pieces.
- Roll one piece of dough at a time into 18-inch strips. Twist into a pretzel shape.
- Fill a large pot with 2-inches of water. Stir in baking soda and heat on medium-high.
- Place pretzels into water and poach 1 minute.
- Remove from water and place onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet or silicone mat.
- Brush pretzels with beaten egg and sprinkle on toppings.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 13-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve hot! Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 2586Total Fat: 11gSodium: 14970mgCarbohydrates: 535gSugar: 11gProtein: 110g
You can also make Disney Soft Pretzel rolls with this recipe. Instead of shaping into pretzels, roll them into balls after you cut into portions. Poach balls in water for 1 minutes. Place in a round cake pan to make 8 rolls. Make a shallow slice on the top of each roll, brush with egg wash, and toppings if desired. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until the rolls sound hollow when you thump them with your finger.