No Knead Pizza Dough
I absolutely love this recipe for no knead pizza dough. I bought the book “Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day” by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois a few years ago. The whole premise of this cookbook is that you can make wonderful, artisan bread without all the work. Each of the recipes in the book makes several loaves of no-knead bread than can be stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake. It’s a great way to have fresh-baked bread ready when you are and at a fraction of the cost.
My recipe for No Knead Pizza Dough listed below is inspired by the book’s Olive Oil Pizza Dough recipe. However, I’ve modified it to include more whole grain and no refined sugar. I hope you enjoy it.
- 2 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast (2 packets)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- Mix yeast, salt, sugar, and olive oil with the water in 5 quart bowl.
- sing a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix in the flours until well combined. Do not knead.
- Cover loosely and allow to rest at room temperature for 2 hours. Dough should rise and collapse leaving a flattened top.
- Refrigerate in a lidded, but not airtight, container for about an hour. (Note: remaining dough will last up to 12 days in refrigerator)
- To prepare dough, dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 1 lb piece( about the size of a grapefruit). Dust the piece with more flour and quickly shape it into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides.
- Preheat pizza stone in a 500-550 degree oven for twenty minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon cornmeal on rolling surface and place dough ball on top. Dust dough ball with flour and roll out with rolling-pin to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Top with desired toppings. Transfer pizza to cooking stone and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Can be stored in the refrigerator up to 12 days.
Serving Size:1 large crust
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 809 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 14g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 2392mg Carbohydrates: 145g Fiber: 22g Sugar: 4g Protein: 28g