Little Family Adventure some times receives complimentary products, hosted travel, and/or compensation related to shared content. This story may contain affiliate links. Purchase through our affiliate links and we receive a small commission without any extra expense to you!
Whether cooking at home or over a campfire, blackened seasoning can spice up any meal. Whether you’re adding it to steak, chicken, fish, or vegetables, this homemade blackened seasoning recipe adds a a spicy kick is easy to make. Plus homemade seasoning/spic blends are cheaper that store bought seasonings.
Blackened Seasoning Recipe
My favorite way to use this blackened seasoning is on fish. I will most often use it on catfish to make Blackened Grilled Catfish. This seasoning is also really good on tilapia, salmon, and other fish. To get the spice blend “blackened”, I like to use a cast iron skillet. It retains heat really well and allows me to basically char the seasoning to form the black spice crust I want.
How to blacken fish
- Heat the skillet to medium heat
- Add a little oil and then add your fish filets.
- Cook 4-5 minutes on each side, being careful to only turn once.
Other recipe/meal ideas using this homemade blackened seasoning recipe:
- Blackened Chicken Alfredo
- Blacked Steak with a Herbed Garlic Butter
- Blackened Fish Tacos with Coleslaw and Sriracha Mayo
- Blackened Carrots and Sweet Potatoes (oven roasted is the easiest)
With homemade seasoning, it’s up to you if you’d like to make a small or large amount of seasoning. I like to make smaller batches and store my homemade seasonings/spice mixes in these glass containers*. They have nice looking chalkboard labels and shaker insert lids to make it easier to sprinkle seasoning onto any food.
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "littfamiadve-20";
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual";
amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart";
amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon";
amzn_assoc_region = "US";
amzn_assoc_design = "enhanced_links";
amzn_assoc_asins = "B07193N71J";
amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit";
amzn_assoc_linkid = "e34adaf833353e10395cb662cd883a0c";
Simple Blackened Seasoning Recipe
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Combine all the ingredients and store in a sealed container.
Serving Size:1 teaspoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 6Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 0g
If you liked this recipe, you may also like: