1 pound peaches-peeled, peeled and pits removed
2/3 cup cane sugar
3 egg yolks
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
just under a 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (if you love almonds, add the full 1/8, otherwise use less)
1/4 cup whole almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- In a food processor or blender, pulse half the peaches with 1/3 cup sugar. Add remaining peaches and pulse until almost smooth. Place into a covered container and set aside
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the remaining 1/3 cup sugar for 1 minute; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and cream over medium heat until just simmering, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk about 1/4 of the hot milk into the yolk mixture. This will temper the eggs and bring them up to temperature.
- Whisk the yolk mixture into the saucepan with the milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.)
- Strain the warm egg mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the peach puree. Stir to combine, then stir in the almond extract.
- Refrigerate ice cream mixture for at least 2 hours.
- Remove ice cream mixture and add chopped almonds. Place in your ice cream maker and make your ice cream according to the maker's instructions.
Here are a few more ice cream recipes you can enjoy: