Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are delicious. They are a rice and ground beef mixture wrapped inside fresh cabbage leaves and covered with a savory tomato sauce. They are a great meal, but there is a lot of work involved in creating them. Enter in one of my Grandmother’s recipes. She called this dish simply “Cabbage Dish”. It has all of the same flavsor as Stuffed Cabbage Rolls but with far less work. This “cabbage dish” is what we call Lazy Cook’s Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Casserole.
This Lazy Cook’s Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls recipe is more of a casserole than the traditional cabbage roll dish. Everything is layered and cooked in the oven. You can precook this casserole and reheat when needed or prep the dish and hold it in the fridge until ready to bake. This recipe is also easily modified as a crock pot meal. Just throw it all in the crock pot and cook on high for 4 hours or cook on low for 7 hours. It’s very versatile. You’ll love it. Try it for yourself and get easy to fall in love.
- 1/2 head medium cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 lb hamburger (ground beef)
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 2 cups cut up fresh tomatoes
- 8 oz chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. Cook the hamburger, rice and onion in a skillet for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- 3. In another saucepan, combine tomatoes through pepper, and bring to a boil.
- 4. In a 2 quart dish, layer cabbage, hamburger mixture, and tomatoes with liquid. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.