Today, I have this recipe for Chicken Enchilada Casserole cooked in an Instant Pot. This pressure cooker recipe has 5 ingredients plus a handful of spices to give plenty of flavor to this Mexican dish. It is super easy and makes a great weeknight meal.
No More Tortilla Rolling
I love chicken enchiladas but really, really dislike rolling the tortillas in the tradition recipe. Regardless of whether I use corn or flour tortillas, the tortillas break and crack every time! My enchiladas are anything but pretty. They look like a mess really, but they are ohhhh so good!
But for quite some time, I have been making a chicken enchilada casserole with all the ingredients layered instead of the way you are used to seeing it. It saves me time, patience, and more importantly sanity!
Great for Frozen Chicken
For the longest time, I was dedicated to my crock pot. But, I’d often forget to start it in the morning. When I came home, I didn’t have anything ready for dinner. I don’t have that problem with my pressure cooker. I can use frozen chicken in this recipe and it takes just a few extra minutes. Now there is no excuse to order take out. Once the IP comes up to pressure, thawed chicken breasts take about 10 minutes or 15 from frozen.
If you don’t already have an Instant Pot, you can get this one from Amazon. (This is an affiliate link and when you purchase through it, I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.)
Great Make Ahead Meal
These Instant Pot Chicken Enchiladas are made in two stages. First you mix together and cook the chicken, enchilada sauce, chiles and spices. Then you release the pressure and add the tortillas and cheese. Bring back up to pressure one more time and cook for 3 minutes to melt the cheese.
If you are into batch cooking, you can easily create a large amount of chicken. You can use it for this or other recipes like Campfire Nachos, tacos, burrito bowls, served over potatoes, etc. The cooked chicken and the full recipe freeze really well too! I actually have 2 containers of this enchilada casserole in the freezer as I write this. When I want to use it, I place in the refrigerator or on the counter to thaw a bit. Then I can reheat in the microwave. The kids love taking to school for lunch too!
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do.
Pin this for later….
- 4 chicken breasts
- 28oz can Enchilada sauce (red or green)
- 4oz can diced Hatch chiles
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into slices
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Garnish: Sliced black olives, Sour cream, Sliced Avocado, Guacamole, Salsa
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken, enchilada sauce, Hatch chiles, garlic powder, and cumin to pressure cooker.
- Secure the lid, closing the pressure valve. Set machine to the Manual setting (high pressure) and cook for 10 minutes (thawed chicken) or 15 (frozen chicken).
- Once timer goes off, do a quick pressure release.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred with two forks.
- Return shredded chicken to pressure cooker.
- Add sliced tortillas and cheese. Stir to combine.
- Return the pressure cooker lid, close the pressure valve, and cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 3 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Serve chicken enchilada casserole with sliced black olives, sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or sliced avocado as desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 88mg Sodium: 1474mg Carbohydrates: 38g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 11g Protein: 35g
If you liked this Instant Pot Recipe, You May also like these: