Did I just really just say “Apple Churro Cupcakes”? Yeah, I did! Can you imagine anything so perfect for dessert?
I didn’t think that there was anything better than a churro. I was soooo wrong! These Apple Churro Cupcakes are beyond amazing! When you combine a churro and a cupcake, it truly can’t get any better than that!
Valentine’s Day is almost here and I wanted to create an extra special something for my kids. They love churros, a crispy fried dough stick covered in cinnamon sugar. I don’t deep fry much anymore, so they haven’t had a churro in forever. My daughter was eating a cupcake the other day and mentioned that she wished I could make a churro flavored cupcake. So I went to work and I created these super amazing Apple Churro Cupcakes for my kids. I think they’re going to say these were the best Valentine’s Day gift EVER!
I found these special Valentine themed baking items in my local Walmart’s Valentine’s Day seasonal aisle. Aren’t they great? They are made by a company called Bakery Crafts. If you’ve ever ordered a licensed character cake or used cake toppers before, chances are you’ve already used their products. Their Valentine’s Day Decorating Kit included a colorful “Love banner, and 2 Heart shaped picks. These gummy candy hearts are so cute too. They are perfect for Valentine’s Day treats.
These Churro Cupcakes combine a cinnamon sugar topping with an extremely moist and delicious cupcake. Apple juice gives these cupcakes a faint apple flavor and yogurt makes these cupcakes moist. Each cupcake is topped with a mixture of cinnamon and raw sugar after baking to give them crunch, just like when you bite into a traditional fried churro. Then to top everything off, a rich cinnamon cream cheese frosting completes these cupcakes. All these flavors combine to create a dessert that you are going to fall in love with!
This recipe makes 12 amazing Apple Churro Cupcakes.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup cane sugar
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 egg, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup apple juice
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
2 Tablespoons raw sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 Tablespoons cream cheese, softened
4 Tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard sized muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In another bowl, cream together butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high speed.
- Beat yogurt into creamed butter. Scrape bowl down with a spatula.
- Add egg and blend well until all is incorporated.
- Beat in vanilla and continue to beat until creamy.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and apple juice to the wet mixture, starting and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove muffin tins from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Remove muffins from tins once cooled.
- Place the melted butter in a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush each cupcake with melted butter and then dip into the cinnamon sugar mixture. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, butter together cream cheese and butter until light and creamy.
- Blend in vanilla and ground cinnamon.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until all is mixed in.
- Frost each cupcake with frosting. Store finished cupcakes in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Find out more about Bakery Crafts and the products.
What special treats are you making for loved ones this year?