These recipe for Banana Oatmeal Muffins and Coconut Oil Giveaway are brought to by Barlean’s. I am compensated as a Barlean’s ambassador.
Muffins are a delicious way to start the day. Warm one up just a little and you get rewarded with a moist, warm bite of goodness that you can enjoy anywhere. These banana oatmeal muffins are definitely that! You can enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, brinner (breakfast + dinner), or as a snack. Muffins also make the perfect portable breakfast. Whether you are at home, camping, or traveling, these vegan banana muffins can be enjoyed anywhere you are.
How would you answer that question? Me? Hands down my favorite muffin is a banana nut muffin. I can’t say that there isn’t a banana nut bread or muffin I haven’t liked. I think the trick to making it great is really ripe bananas. When a banana gets all spotted and starts to turn brown, it’s ideal for banana muffins. Now this recipe doesn’t contain nuts, but you can easily add 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to the recipe if you want them.
Vegan Banana Muffin
This month I am taking a food challenge that asks me to swap one meal a day for one that’s plant based. So I’m looking for ways to switch some of my favorite foods to make them vegan.
Here are a few that I’m finding that are easy in baking:
1 Egg = 1/4 cup applesauce OR 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal and 2.5 tablespoons water
Barlean’s makes a great flaxseed, but I love baking with their Superfruit Seed Meal. It contains flax, coconut, strawberry, blueberry, and raspberry. It was a boost of Omega-3, fiber, and antioxidants. I combined this and applesauce in the muffin and them added a little extra for the muffin topping. So good!
Butter = coconut oil (equal amounts)
Barleans makes a culinary coconut oil that has a lighter coconut flavor than traditional coconut oil. It works really well when baking. I like that it allows the other flavors to come through without being too coconutty (if that isn’t a word, it should be).
So those are the two changes I made to make these banana oatmeal muffins vegan. Try them for yourself.
Pin this for later…. Then enter the giveaway below.
- 2 large bananas, mashed + 1/2 banana cut into 12 slices
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons Barleans Superfruit Seed Blend
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup Barleans Culinary Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line muffin pan with paper or silicone muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mash up 2 bananas.
- Add 1/4 cup superfruit seed blend, apple sauce, melted coconut oil, and vanilla extract to the mashed up banana. Mix well to combine.
- Add 2/3 cup sugar, rolled oats, flours, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg to the banana mixture.
- Divide banana mixture out into 12 muffins.
- Mix together 2 tablespoons Barleans Superfruit Seed Blend and 2 tablespoons cane sugar in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle seed blend and sugar mixture over the 12 muffins.
- Top each muffin with a slice of banana.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 139 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 299mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g
Now that you have my recipe for these vegan banana muffins, it’s time for a giveaway.
Enter to win using the rafflecopter below. Open to US Residents 18 years and older. Contest ends May 14, 2018 12am midnight CST.
Prize: 32 ounce jar of Barlean’s Culinary Coconut Oil.