Nachos are one of our family’s favorite weeknight dinners. They are quick and easy to throw together with just a few ingredients. These BBQ Chicken Nachos aren’t your everyday, run of the mill Tex-Mex Loaded Nachos. Instead, these are easy homemade chicken nachos loaded with copious amounts of cheese, zesty barbecue sauce, and served atop freshly baked flour tortilla chips.
We love making this recipe at home, but it’s also a great camping meal when cooked over the fire. Below I’ll share a few tips on how to do that. Either way, you’re family is going to LOVE this easy dinner recipe!
Sheet Pan Nachos
If you are cooking for a group, sheet pan nachos are perfect! You throw a few things together, pop it in a hot oven, and in a few minutes….. ’Voila’ party sized nachos that feed a hungry crowd. The recipe below feeds 4, so double, triple, or quadruple as needed.
Need new baking sheets? Add this Nordic Ware Baker to your Amazon Cart.
This recipe takes less than 20 minutes, start to finish when using precooked chicken. If you want need to cook 2 chicken breasts for this recipe, add an additional 15 minutes. Here are a few more time saving tips for you.
Time Saving Tips
- Great with rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken
Using precooked chicken is a real time saver! I will often batch cook chicken breasts or thighs for use during the week. Then I can just pull out what I need. Also, when I cook a whole chicken in the crock pot or buy a rotisserie chicken, there are always left overs. You only need a cup (more or less) of shredded chicken for a full sheet pan.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
I love using silicone mats when baking, but for this I prefer parchment paper. Why? Clean up is easier and after the nachos are cooked, I can easily transfer them to a serving platter or another baking sheet that isn’t hot. I fear someone will burn themselves if I serve thi on a hot baking sheet. So I transfer the nachos or will nest the hot pan inside another that isn’t.
3. Serve toppings on the side.
Everyone likes their barbecue a certain way and the same for nachos. Allow people to top their nachos with their favorite things. I like pickled jalapenos and fresh avocado. But you can add sour cream, sliced onions, chopped pickles, black olives, chopped green onions, or fresh salsa.
4. Use corn tortilla chips.
This recipe makes baked tortilla chips from scratch using flour tortillas. However, you can swap them out for a bag of corn tortilla chips. Restaurant style chips hold up better in this recipe. Avoid thin style as they don’t hold up well.
Pin this for later…. If you’d like to see more like this, be sure to follow us on Pinterest too.
Tips for Turning This Into a Camping Dinner
These BBQ Chicken Nachos are really easy to cook outdoors on a grill or over a campfire. Here is how we modify the cooking instructions.
1. Layer all the ingredients into a foil baking pan or a cast iron skillet (it’s okay to stack those layers high instead of wide like you do on the sheet pan)
2. Cover baking pan with aluminum foil.
3. Place on grill grate over the campfire or grill over medium heat.
4. Cook through and until the cheese is melted (about 4-8 minutes depending on the heat)
Find more Campfire Meal Ideas here.
** Have you heard that PerdueFarms now delivers Perdue Chicken plus Niman Ranch beef and pasture raised pork direct to your door? Learn more here on their website and get 10% off PLUS FREE bonus item with your first order! You can also read our recent review on Perdue Farms here.
BBQ Chicken Nachos Recipe
- 4 Flour Tortillas, soft taco (7-8”) size
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon dry BBQ seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup shredded, cooked chicken breast (2 chicken breasts)
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce of choice ( I like a sweet/spicy sauce for this)
- 1 cup cooked beans (pinto or black are our favorites)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- 2 avocados, sliced or chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno slices, optional
- Sour cream, optional
- Sliced red or green onions, optional
- Preheat over to 375˚F
- Stack flour tortillas and cut into 8 wedges
- Place single layer of tortilla chips on lined baking sheet
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and dry BBQ seasoning
- Using a pastry brush, brush seasoning onto tortillas.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Chips will not be completely crispy
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and shredded chicken.
- Once chips are finished, top with BBQ chicken, beans, and cheese.
- Return to oven and bake for additional 6-8 minutes or until
- chicken is hot and cheese is melted
- Drizzle remaining BBQ sauce.
- Serve with optional sides over the top or on the side.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 795 Total Fat: 48g Saturated Fat: 19g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 124mg Sodium: 1126mg Carbohydrates: 56g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 11g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 41g