Aromas have the opportunity to transport us back in time and place. Great food lives a mark and when we re-encounter it, it has the ability to recall sights, sounds, and smells from our memories. German Frikadellen and Skillet Potatoes is one of those meals for me and my family.
As a child I remember enjoying Frikadellen and Patat (ground meat sausage and fries potatoes) every time I’d visit my Grandmother in the Netherlands. My mother and I would walk down to the snack bar, Febo, and pick up one whenever we went to the market. Now I make the German version of that dish for my family. This German Frikadellen and Skillet Potatoes is more hamburger patty than sausage, but the flavors are the same. It tastes like home. What dish do you remember from your childhood?
If you like German food, also check out these other recipes on the site:
- 1/2 lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 lb Ground Pork or pork
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced ½” thick
- Place sliced potatoes in a large pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain potatoes into a colander and set aside. Note: potatoes will not be cooked through all the way.
- Combine Frikadellen ingredients (beef thru pepper) into a mixing bowl.
- Shape meat mixture into (8) 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Over medium heat, melt 1 Tablespoon butter in a large skillet or Dutch Oven.
- Place 4 meat patties into the skillet and cook 4-5 minutes per side until browned on both sides. Remove and repeat with remaining patties.
- After patties are finished, add remaining butter and semi-cooked potatoes to skillet. Over medium heat, cook for 5-7 minutes or until potatoes are crisp and browned.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589 Total Fat: 32g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 184mg Sodium: 811mg Carbohydrates: 30g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 42g