This Roasted Butternut Squash and Farro Salad is perfect for a holiday side dish or main entree salad. Enjoy it for your next meal!
Earthy farro adds a subtle crunch to roasted butternut squash flavored with a herbed balsamic vinaigrette. The end result is a dish you will want to make again and again.
The first time I had this whole-grain was at an Italian restaurant. It was served alongside roasted vegetables, cured meats, and cheeses. Roasting vegetables are a delicious and healthy way to prepare veggies and the flavor goes well this grain.
The butternut squash to be tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette before roasting. It imparts a delicious flavor that is incredible. You are really going to like it. This side dish is served hot.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Farro
Enjoy this dish as a side dish or as a main entree. It’s vegan, dairy free, and ohhh so delicious!
- 2 cups farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine the farro, 1 teaspoon salt, and water in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Grains will be done when they are chewy but not hard. Remove from heat, drain any excess water, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, dried herbs, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Add the cubed squash and onion. Toss well. Spread out onto a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing the squash every 5-7 minutes to ensure even browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl gently toss cooked farro, cooked squash, almonds, and sesame oil together. Taste salad and add salt if necessary. Transfer salad to a large serving bowl and enjoy warm or chilled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Have you tried farro before? How was it prepared?
Share with Us – When you make one of these recipes, tag us at @LilFamAdventure in your post or story and let us know. We love seeing what your cooking and how you are getting adventurous with your family!
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our latest too!