This Roasted Butternut Squash and Farro Salad is perfect for a holiday side dish or main entree salad. Enjoy it for your next meal!
Earthy farro adds a subtle crunch to roasted butternut squash flavored with a herbed balsamic vinaigrette. The end result is a dish you will want to make again and again.
The first time I had this whole-grain was at an Italian restaurant. It was served alongside roasted vegetables, cured meats, and cheeses. Roasting vegetables are a delicious and healthy way to prepare veggies and the flavor goes well this grain.
The butternut squash to be tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette before roasting. It imparts a delicious flavor that is incredible. You are really going to like it. This side dish is served hot.
Roasted Butternut Squash & Farro
Enjoy this dish as a side dish or as a main entree. It’s vegan, dairy free, and ohhh so delicious!
- 2 cups farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine the farro, 1 teaspoon salt, and water in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, stirring often. Grains will be done when they are chewy but not hard. Remove from heat, drain any excess water, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt, dried herbs, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Add the cubed squash and onion. Toss well. Spread out onto a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, tossing the squash every 5-7 minutes to ensure even browning. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl gently toss cooked farro, cooked squash, almonds, and sesame oil together. Taste salad and add salt if necessary. Transfer salad to a large serving bowl and enjoy warm or chilled.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 7g
Have you tried farro before? How was it prepared?
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our latest too!