“Let Them Eat Cake…” for breakfast!! Ontbijtkoek is a spiced Dutch quick breakfast bread with molasses, honey, brown sugar, and rye flour., Translated from Dutch, ontbijtkoek literally means ‘Breakfast Bread’.
Traditionally the Dutch enjoy this dense cake-like bread along with their morning coffee with a pat of butter. At our house, we enjoy it at breakfast, with coffee, and also as the base of an ice cream sundae with chocolate sauce. So GOOD anyway you slice it!!!!
Dutch Spiced Breakfast Bread
This recipe for this spiced breakfast bread comes from my mother. I remember eating it when we were in Holland visiting family. I would get it smeared with butter, the way it’s traditionally served. Come to think of it, I like butter on most quick breads including banana bread, persimmon bread, and others.
Pin This for Later…..
Before I started baking this at home, I could never found it in local stores or bakeries here in the US. It was something I had to special order from Vander Veen’s, a Michigan company that imports goods from the Netherlands. My version, just like the one I used to order, ships really well because it’s so dense. So it a great homemade gift for friends and neighbors near and far. You can find more homemade gifts that ship well here.
Easy to Make Breakfast Bread
All of the ingredients are easy to find too! The recipe calls for 1 cup of all-purpose flour and 1 cup of rye flour. When I’m out of rye flour, I just substitute all-purpose without any issues. It just changes the flavor, but not in a bad way.
One of the signature things about this quick bread is its slightly sticky crust. While the bread is cooling, it is wrapped in aluminum foil and allowed to rest at least 12 hours, but 24 hours is better. This creates a sticky, moist crust that the bread is known for. To keep this moist, keep it wrapped until ready to slice and serve.
How to Make Quick Bread
To make this bread, you combine all the flours and spices together. Then combine warmed milk, molasses, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla in a sauce pan. Then all the two together until it resembles a pancake batter. Bake at 300˚F for 60 minutes in a prepared bread loaf pan. Allow finished bread to cool in pan for 30 minutes and wrap in aluminum foil to cool completely. Unwrap after 12 hours to slice and serve.
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk or almond milk
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Prepare a bread loaf pan with oil spray or butter & flour.
- Mix together dry ingredients (rye flour through black pepper) in a mixing bowl.
- In a saucepan, warm milk until lukewarm and add molasses, brown sugar, honey, and vanilla extract.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix just until smooth. The batter will resemble a thick pancake batter.
- Bake 1 hour or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool in the pan for about 30 minutes. Remove cake from pan and wrap immediately within a sheet of aluminum foil. Keep wrapped for 12 hours before slicing/serving.
- Serve each slice with a pat of butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 169Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Looking for more food inspiration? Check out these latest recipes & ideas….
- How to Make Iced White Chocolate Mocha – Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- How to Make Disney’s Dole Whip (pineapple ice cream) at Home
- Easy Copycat Starbucks Egg Bites – Instant Pot Keto Recipe with Bacon
- The Best Way to Grill Brats Every Time & 12 Side Dishes & Topping Ideas
- 25 easy rv meal ideas + meal planning tips