Move over holiday mashed potatoes and gravy. This Oven Roasted Root Vegetables recipe with rosemary will be your new favorite starchy side dish on your table.
For holiday dinners and weeknight meals, I like to prepare a mix of roasted fall vegetables with fresh rosemary, garlic, and a drizzle of olive oil. This is a super easy side dish to make with a variety of main entrees; pork, chicken, beef, bacon. Yeah, bacon! It’s a food group in our house. But this isn’t an article on bacon, it’s oven roasted root vegetables with rosemary and garlic.
Roasted Fall Vegetables
Let’s talk a little about the types of root vegetables that are great in this recipe. Fall vegetables tend to be starchier root vegetables that are perfect for high heat oven roasting.
For this roasted side dish, you can use any combination of these fall vegetables like:
- Red skinned potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Red beets.
- Fingerling potatoes
- Purple yams
There really is no right or wrong combination to this side dish. For us, what we use comes down to what’s available in the store.
If you don’t like rosemary, substitute another herb like thyme instead. When you are ready, you just toss everything together and throw it on a sheet pan, and cook in the oven. It’s great with a variety of main entrées. Plus these oven-roasted root vegetables can also be prepared ahead of time. It can be cooked early and allowed to rest for up to 4 hours at room temperature. Then reheated just before serving.
- 2 pounds red skinned potatoes
- 2 pounds large sweet potato
- 2 large parsnips
- 2 large carrots
- 2 large red beets
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary (rosemary leaves pulled off the stem and roughly chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking sheet.
- Cut all vegetables into 1-1.5 inch segments.
- Place all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss with rosemary leaves, garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.
- Divide the vegetables onto two baking sheets and spread out into a single layer.
- Place baking sheets on separate racks in the oven and cook for 25 minutes.
- Rotate the baking sheets in the oven so that the vegetables cook evenly. Stir vegetables on each sheet and cook an additional 15-25 minutes. Vegetables will be golden brown and tender.
- Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and it's ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 4g
If you like this recipe, also try these: