I love this Farmer’s Strata with Kale, Tomato, Mushrooms, and Feta. It’s one of the foods that I could eat anytime; breakfast, brunch, lunch, you get the idea.
We’ll often have it for a “Breakfast for Dinner” night in our house. It quick and easy to make making it a perfect meal for our busy life.
A strata is just a fancy way of saying a layered casserole. It’s similar to a frittata or crustless quiche. In a strata, you add the ingredients in layers. As it bakes, the flavors meld together into a delicious meal. You can easily substitute other ingredients in this strata to your liking; sausage, bacon, potatoes, spinach, no cheese, etc. In this version, I used fresh parsley and cilantro. You can easily substitute other fresh or dried herbs. If using dried herbs, use 1 Tablespoon of each herb.
This Farmer’s Strata with kale is part of the New Food of the Week Challenge. During week 1, I challenge readers to add more kale to their diet. This Farmer’s Strata is a perfect way to add kale and other vegetables in a quick and easy meal. The New Food of the Week Challenge is about eating healthy and trying new foods. Kale is a versatile leafy greens that can be used in dishes like this, smoothies, soups, and more.
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon olive oil or coconut oil
1 cup sliced Shitake mushrooms, about 4-5
2 green onions, white and green segments sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped (about 3 Tablespoons)
Handful of fresh cilantro, chopped (about 3 Tablespoons)
6 large leaves of red kale, chopped and stems removed and sliced
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/4" slices
1/4 cup Feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Beat eggs, salt, and pepper, in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a 10" oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, green onions, and sliced kale stems to skillet. Saute for 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and herbs. Saute for an additional 2 minutes. Herbs will be wilted and the mushrooms are starting to brown.Handful of fresh parsley, chopped (about 3 Tablespoons)
- Add layer of kale to mixture. Do not mix in, just lay on top of mushroom and herb mixture.
- Add a layer of tomatoes over kale and sprinkle crumbled feta over tomatoes.
- Evenly pour eggs over tomatoes and feta. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
- As eggs are cooking, lift edges of strata with a spatula allowing eggs in fill in the gaps.
- Once bottom of strata begins to brown, transfer to the oven. Cook for 20 minutes, or until eggs are set.
- Remove from pan and cut into wedges.
- Remove from oven and take strata out of pan with a large spatula. Slice into wedges and serve.
French Garden Frittata