So many names, one great taste.
Egg in a Hole is one of my family’s favorite breakfast meals. It goes by so many different names; Egg in a Hole, Eggs in a Basket, Toad in a Hole, Frog in Toast, etc. What do you call it?
Plain eggs and toast can be a little boring. This is a fun twist on those breakfast staples, plus a touch of french toast. It combines the best of all these delicious breakfast recipes. My kids LOVE to change things up too with shaped holes in our toast. They like picking out the shape of their holes. We use cookie cutters and today the star shape took the best picture. But there were Mickey Mouse shapes, hearts, ghosts, dinosaurs, and bone shapes to choose from. If you don’t have or want to use a cookie cutter, you can use a small glass, biscuit cutter, or your fingers to create a 2 inch diameter hole in each bread slice.
You can use whatever type of bread you like. The picture above shows a 7 grain bread. My children really like using cinnamon raisin and cranberry walnut breads too. If you want it to be more like french toast, use brioche slices.
I hope you like our family favorite breakfast.
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 egg
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- maple syrup or powdered sugar
- Cut out a 2 inch shape/circle in the middle of each bread slice.
- Heat a skillet over medium low heat and melt a pat of butter.
- Once the butter has melted, place bread in skillet. Move the bread around and let it soak up some of the butter.
- Crack one egg and place it inside the "hole" or center of the bread.
- Cook for one minute and flip over.
- Cook for an additional 45 seconds to 1 minute. You want the toast browned and the egg to be runny. When you touch the egg with your spatula, it should be soft to the touch but not wiggly.
- Remove from pan and place in a covered dish or plate.
- Repeat steps 2-7 until all Eggs in the Hole are completed.
- Take your bread cut outs and place in pan. Move them around to soak up any remaining butter. Allow it to toast on both sides.
- Serve one slice of bread and one bread cut out for each person. You can top with maple syrup, powdered sugar, or eat it plain.
What is your favorite breakfast?