Easy Camping Breakfast Burritos
Whether camping in the great outdoors or in makeshift tents in the living room, a family campout is just plain FUN!! A campout isn’t complete without tasty camp food. Breakfast is my favorite meal while camping. These easy campfire burritos are made ahead at home, then finished off at the campsite, on the grill, or in your oven.
Campfire cooking needs to be easy and as mess free as possible. In the great outdoors, you don’t want unwanted visitors (think ants and raccoons) to your camp site because you left food out. So simple is key. These burritos are cooked up at home, wrapped in foil, and stored until you’re ready to heat and serve.
My family loves chorizo, a spicy Mexican sausage. These burritos combine chorizo, potato, egg, and cheese. If you don’t want spicy burritos, you can substitute breakfast sausage. No matter what combination you use, here are a few tips to help you create amazingly delicious breakfast burritos.
- Don’t add salsa until just before serving. Otherwise, your burrito will be a soggy mess.
- Place the potatoes/hash browns in the center of the burritos. It helps to soak in any liquid from the sausage and keep it away from the tortilla.
- If you aren’t going to eat your breakfast burritos within 24 hours, store them wrapped in a ziploc bag and freeze.
Easy breakfast burritos are made ahead to leave you more time while camping. You can enjoy these at your next campout, backyard grill out, or at home.
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage
- 6 large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 4 cups golden brown cooked hash browns or skillet potatoes
- 4 slices of monterey jack or provolone cheese
- In a large skillet, brown the chorizo until done. Place cooked chorizo on a paper towel lined plate to soak up any excess grease.
- Return skillet to stove and scramble the eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Tear off 4 large squares of aluminum foil and place on a counter or flat surface.
- Heat tortillas and place one on each piece of foil.
- Top with cheese, chorizo, eggs, and hash browns.
- Roll burrito up tightly and enclose in aluminum foil.
- Store in the refrigerator or cooler until ready to use. Can be frozen until ready to use as well.
- When ready to serve: Reheat burrito, wrapped in foil, on the campfire, grill, or at home in the oven. Heat until contents are heated thru. Serve with salsa.