An easy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe ready in 20 minutes! I love ordering fresh lettuce wraps when I go to Asian restaurants like Pei Wei. This is a fast way to make delicious lettuce cups at home for a quick weeknight dinner or a fresh, gluten-free appetizer.
Thai Lettuce Wraps Recipe
I’m excited to share my recipe for Thai chicken lettuce wraps. This simple recipe is perfect for quick weeknight dinners, on-the-go lunches when you store the chicken mixture and lettuce separately, and for appetizers. It is carb & keto friendly too!
Asian Lettuce Wraps Ingredients
You probably already have all the ingredients you need for this chicken lettuce wraps recipe in your kitchen. This version doesn’t have water chestnuts as my family aren’t a fan.
- Coconut or olive oil
- Ground chicken or ground turkey
- Tamari sauce (soy sauce or coconut aminos also work)
- Rice wine vinegar
- Sugar or keto sugar
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Fish sauce
- Garlic clove
- Fresh ginger
- Butter or Bibb lettuce
- Red onion
- Green onion
- Roasted peanuts
- Fresh limes
How Do you Make Chicken Lettuce Wraps
First, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the ground chicken and cook until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Just remember to stir occasionally with a wooden spoon as it is cooking to break up the meat.
Next, add the tamari sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, fish sauce, garlic, and ginger to the chicken and cook 2 minutes over medium heat. Stir constantly to prevent burning.
Spoon the meat mixture into lettuce leaves and top with the red onion, carrot, green onions, and peanuts. Serve along with the lime wedges for squeezing on top.
- In place of cooking ground chicken, you can use ground turkey. Another option is to use shredded cooked chicken breast or leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Instead of Tamari sauce, you can substitute soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- If you want to make this into a keto lettuce wraps, swap the sugar for keto sugar, coconut sugar, or stevia/erythritol blend.
Extra flavor: These lettuce cups are also really good topped with a little peanut sauce made mostly with soy sauce, peanut butter, brown sugar, and a little red pepper. You can find my homemade peanut sauce recipe with my recipe for Peanut Butter Rice. If you like peanuts, definitely give that recipe a try too! You can also add Sriracha to taste for some heat.
Pin This For Later
Should I Make Ground Turkey or Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps?
I’ve made these with both ground chicken and ground turkey. Either will work really well. I will often order chicken through Perdue Farms at home meat delivery, but ground chicken isn't something they usually carry. Therefore, I'll buy ground chicken at Walmart or another local grocery store. Ground turkey tends to be readily available if you'd rather use that.
What’s the Best Lettuce for Wraps?
For a lettuce cup that holds together really well, I prefer Bibb or butter lettuce. If you want both sturdy and a crisp crunch, then opt for Iceberg lettuce. There isn’t much nutritional value there, but it offers the other things in spades. If you can’t find any of these, you can use Romaine lettuce with its long leaves. You will just want to serve it open-faced as it can be hard to roll, especially the smaller leaves.
If you like wraps, then see these other LFA recipes:
- Almond Chicken and Apple Lettuce Wraps
- Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Thai Peanut Sauce
- Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
Join the family and subscribe below for more…….
This is a fast way to make delicious lettuce cups at home for a quick weeknight dinner or a fresh, gluten-free appetizer.
- 2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken (ground turkey also works)
- 3 tablespoons tamari sauce (soy sauce or coconut aminos also work)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar or keto sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 4 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 head butter or Bibb lettuce
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced green and white parts
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- Fresh lime wedges, for squeezing on top
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once melted, add the chicken or turkey and cook until browned, about 6 to 8 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon to break up the meat.
- Add the tamari sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, crushed red pepper flakes, fish sauce, garlic, and ginger and cook 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Spoon the meat mixture into lettuce leaves and top with the red onion, carrot, green onions, and peanuts. Serve along with the lime wedges for squeezing on top.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 371Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 958mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 30g
Did you try this recipe?
Let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe below.
You may also like these other recipes:
If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out our latest too!